Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Petit Fours

I have wanted to make these for the longest time and finally I had a good reason to…VALENTINES DAY!  These take some patience, there are a lot of steps to follow but people are always impressed by them when they are finished.  I started with a really good pound cake recipe (which I will post below) and baked it in 2 sheet pans.
















Once the cakes were cooled I brushed on a thin layer of heated raspberry jam, added a really thin layer of marzipan, brushed another thin layer of jam and topped it off with the second layer of pound cake. 
















After building the “sandwich” I let the whole thing rest in the fridge for about an hour just to let things settle.  I then used a heart shaped cookie cutter (you could use any shape) to cut my individual cakes.















After cutting all of my hearts out, I placed them on a cooling rack with a covered tray underneath.  I mixed up my icing (recipe below) and spooned it over the individual cakes until they are completely covered.  The only real tip I can give you with this icing is that the warmer it is the thinner it gets, making it waaaay easier to cover the cakes.  If it gets too cool it gets gloppy and hard to spread.

















After letting the icing dry for about an hour or so you can decorate them any way you like.  I used royal icing to decorate my cakes. 


ENJOY!  Not only are these super cute to look at, they are also really delicious!
































Cream Cheese Pound Cake
3.5 cups all purpose flour, sifted
1 tsp baking powder
1 cup butter, room temperature
8 oz. cream cheese, room temperature
3 cups sugar
1 tsp vanilla
6 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk, room temperature
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Sift flour and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
Using a mixer, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar for about 6 minutes.
Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Add vanilla and milk until combined.
Add flour mixture until completely combined.
Pour into two greased and floured 9 X 5 loaf pans.

Bake for approx. 60 minutes or until done.

Poured Fondant
2lb bag powdered sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/3 cup water
1 tsp vanilla

Combine all ingredients in a large pot and heat on low until well combined.   

No comments:

Post a Comment