Search This Blog

Monday, August 30, 2010

Jewish Apple Cake

Jewish Apple Cake

The vote for Jewish Apple Cake was almost unanimous and I have to say I was pretty pleased because this is probably my most favorite cake EVER!  I made this on Saturday night and by 9:30am this morning (Monday) there was not a crumb left.  This is one of those cakes that you can just eat and eat and eat.  I've never met a person who doesn't love it. 

This cake is extremely easy to make, the worst part is peeling and cutting the apples. 

The directions in the recipe say to mix the cake batter then cut the apples and mix with cinnamon-sugar mixture.  I always cut the apples first and mix with cinnamon-sugar because I like the apples to let some of their juice out.

The only other thing I do differently from the recipe is use apple juice instead of orange juice. I have made this cake MANY times and experimented with OJ, apple juice and even apple cider and found that using Simply Apple juice is the way to go.

After you get your cake batter and apple mixtures ready, start to layer the mixtures into a well greased tube pan.  I always start with cake batter and end with apples. 


The cake takes about an hour and a half to bake and will make your house (and probably your entire neighborhood) smell absolutely delicious!! 




Jewish Apple Cake
 
3 cups all purpose flour
2 1/2 cups sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup vegetable oil
2 1/2 tsp vanilla
4 large eggs
1/2 cup orange juice (or Simply Apple)
5 large apples
5 tsp cinnamon
5 tbls sugar (separated from other sugar)
 
Preheat oven to 350
 
Beat flour, 2 1/2 cups sugar, baking powder, salt, vanilla, oil, eggs and juice together until smooth.  In a separate bowl combine sliced apples, cinnamon and 5 tbls sugar. 
 
Layer batter and apples in greased tube pan, starting with batter and ending with apples.
 
Bake at 350 for 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 hours.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment