Search This Blog

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Chewy Granola Bars

These were so YUM it’s not even funny!  I am a total granola enthusiast…I eat it in either cereal form or bar for at least once a day so when I saw these I NEEDED to make the ASAP.  These are so easy it’s a wonder why I ever buy them in the store…

So basically you can put pretty much whatever you want in these.  I chose raisins, pecans, almonds, flax seeds and wheat germ since I like all of those things and happened to have them in my pantry.  Just stir all of the dry stuff together until well combined. 















In a separate bowl combine all of your wet stuff.  This again is totally customizable.  I used vanilla, melted butter, honey with a splash of maple syrup, corn syrup (which you kind of need for them to stay chewy) and some water.  You could use oil or maybe some applesauce or maybe even some juice (you can be sure I will be experimenting)
















Mix the dry and the wet together and press the mixture into a pan and bake! 
















Cool em’ and slice em’.  I even went so far to wrap them individually in plastic wrap for my co-workers…I know, I am sickeningly nice.  These got RAVE reviews!
















Chewy Granola Bars

1 2/3 cups quick rolled oats
1/2 to 3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup oat flour (or 1/3 cup oats, processed till finely ground in a food processor or blender)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 to 3 cups dried fruits, nuts and seeds
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
6 tablespoons melted butter
1/4 cup honey, maple syrup or corn syrup
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 tablespoon water

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line an 8″ x 8″ x 2″ pan in one direction with parchment paper, allowing it to go up the opposing sides. Lightly grease the parchment paper and the exposed pan, or coat with a non-stick spray.

Stir together all the dry ingredients, including the fruit and nuts.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the vanilla, melted butter, liquid sweeteners and water.

Toss the wet ingredients with the dry until the mixture is evenly crumbly. Spread in the prepared pan, pressing them in firmly to ensure they are molded to the shape of the pan.

Bake the bars for 30 to 40 minutes, until they’re brown around the edges — don’t be afraid to get a little color on the tops too.

Cool the bars in their pan completely on a cooling rack.

Once cool, a serrated knife to cut the bars into squares
 

No comments:

Post a Comment