Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Animal Crackers!!

ANIMAL CRACKERS!!














I was SO excited to make these!  What could be a better way to take a trip down memory lane than these cute little cookies.  For the record I prefer the term ANIMAL CRACKERS.  I know most people say animal cookies but I grew up calling them crackers and I'm sticking to it!  These "crackers" are really a labor of love because they are very time consuming but trust me they are well worth your time.
















I used a cute Noah's Ark cookie cutter set from Wilton to get the perfect shapes.















After baking them until they turn brown around the edges I iced them with a simple royal icing.















They came out so CUTE!  They were a huge hit at work!  I am in love with these cookies (I mean crackers)















Animal Crackers

1 cup butter room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 tbls whipping cream
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups sifted all purpose flour

Cream butter, add sugar slowly.  Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.  Add egg, cream, baking powder, baking soda, salt and vanilla.  Slowly add the flour until incorporated.  Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm (I recommend over night).  Once dough is chilled preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Roll out dough to 1/8 inch thick and cut into desired shape.  Bake crackers on a lightly greased cookie sheet (or cookie sheet lined with parchment) for 5 - 7 minutes or until brown around edges.  Cool on racks before icing. 

Royal Icing

4 tsp meringue powder
4 tbls water
1 tbls vanilla
3 cups powdered sugar
food coloring

Mix all ingredients until smooth.  I find that the thinner this frosting is the easier it is to coat the cookies.  If your icing is too thin just add more water until you reach the desired consistency.  Please note:  this icing starts to dry quickly, always cover the icing while you are not using it.

No comments:

Post a Comment